en English

Clare’s Law


You have the right to ask:

• If you are experiencing abuse in your relationship

• If you have concerns that a family member or friend is experiencing abuse in their relationship

• If you suspect your partner may have a history of abusive behaviour

Clare’s Law aims to protect you or your loved one’s, whether they are male or female, from domestic abuse.

Under this scheme you can ask the police to check whether a new, former or existing partner has a violent past. This is called ‘right to ask’. If records show that you may be at risk of domestic abuse from a partner, the police will consider disclosing the information. A disclosure can be made if it is legal, proportionate and necessary to do so.

The ‘right to ask’ also enables a third party, such as a friend or family member, to apply for a disclosure on behalf of someone they know. Again, the police can release information if it is lawful, necessary and proportionate to do so. In order to make an application under the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme please contact the police by visiting a police station, calling 101 or speak to a member of the police on the street.

​If you believe there is an immediate risk of harm to someone, or it is an emergency, you should always call 999.

Don’t let the past take up your future!